Updated: Aug 4
You may have seen the European-style UPVC tilt and turn windows that are becoming popular in Australia with Passive House design.
They’re not what we’re used to here, but they are a smart option in the climate we build for around Bendigo and Ballarat.
1. UPVC stands for unplasticized polyvinyl chloride – it is a plastic building material that is strong and lightweight.
2. The material is used as window frames making them durable, and importantly, low maintenance.
3. UPVC is a poor heat conductor which means it supports insulation and condensation control systems.
4. The tilt action with an opening at top and tilting into the house, allows secure night-time ventilation.
5. The turn action, also into the house, allows crossflow ventilation and makes windows easier to clean.