The questions below will help you assess a builders’ experience and expertise in energy efficient construction, their ability to collaborate during the design stage, and their communication and project management skills.
It’s also a good idea to prepare a list of questions that are specific to your project’s need and your priorities as a homeowner.
1. How long have you been in the construction industry, and how many custom-designed, energy efficient homes have you built? Can you provide examples of similar projects you’ve completed in the past?
2. Are you licensed and insured to work as a builder in Victoria and New South Wales? Do you have any certifications or affiliations related to energy-efficient building practices?
3. What strategies and technologies do you use to ensure energy efficiency in your projects? Can you give examples of features you’ve incorporated in previous homes?
4. How do you approach the design process? How do you involve clients in decision-making and ensure their preferences are integrated into the design?
5. How do you control budgets during the design process? How often, and how do you communicate decisions that affect the budget?
Okay…that’s way more than 5 questions.